When you talk about Rand McNally, chances are you thinking of a paper map, not GPS navigation.
Still, the company has offered commercial and mid-range truck drivers a powerful GPS technology called OverDryve. In fact, you will see plenty of Rand McNally OverDryve 8 Pro Truck GPS Tablet review out there.
With a high-precision GPS antenna base and easy interface, Rand McNally OverDryve interface acts as a Wi-Fi tablet while disconnected from the base station. And it is one of the best Rand Mcnally Truck GPS in most situations.
Am I kidding? Not like that. That’s because after reading the article, your idea will change. So, here we go!
At a Glance!
- An Award-winning GPS.
- The fastest Quad-core processor.
- Provide real-time information about fuel, food court, weather, and traffic.
- Built-in SiriusXM satellite radio stations.
- Hand-free calling and texting.
- Google voice assistant and Siri.
- 8″ HD display.
- 802.11 a/b/g Wi-Fi
- Fast and updated 4.0 wireless Bluetooth feature.
- Inbuilt dashcam.
- 2 GB RAM
- 32 GB internal memory
- Ready E-log.
- Rechargeable Li-ion battery.
- One year warranty from the company.
- Rand McNally is going to offer a removable tablet that features like the smartest cars. Navigation is, of course, a crucial fact. But you will find more in the device beyond your expectation.
- The Rand McNally OverDryve 8 has become a source of entertainment. It features a dashcam, a rearview camera, a tire stress screen, comprehensive diagnostic tools, and so on.
- You can easily detach the tablet and can act as an Android 5.1 Lollipop device when detached.
- For beginners, this is a great exercise to keep in mind.
- The tablet itself is durable, and the support is excellent. Rand McNally was not humble when it made this tablet. Everything is bountiful!
- Of course, the tablet is a little harsh. The device has an anti-reflective and anti-glare protective film to make it easier to read at the daylight but used to tilt the balloons.
- The back of the device has a rubber grip for a comfortable grip. At the top, you will find the home, volume, and start push button.
- On the other side, you’ll see a MicroUSB port for charging, a MicroSD slot, a headphone jack, and, most interestingly, a Micro HDMI jack.
- Also, you may find an FM transmitter, extremely durable magnets, and an additional USB charging port for the phone or different electric devices.
Note: The (Rand McNally) tablet’s specifications are more traditional:
- 8-inch HD screen
- 2GB of RAM
- AMD processor, and
- 32GB of internal storage.
However, this tablet is suitable for the lower to middle range.
This device performs plenty of things. It will help you to make and receive calls and texts, it has a dashboard camera, SiriusXM radio, GPS, and that’s even an ELD.
The thing is that it only gives safe instructions, and also, then you should apply your head and not only foolishly follow. I commented to Rand McNally, but I can’t wait to get those things better.
1. Handling Phone Calls & Texts without Using Hand:
This tablet has a magical feature, and so you can manage your phone call and texts without using the hands.
Also, you may find a microphone icon that can launch the voice assistant of the device, and Google Now or Siri.
To continue a hand-free operation, click the home screen> tap on the phone> tap on calls or text messages> start your call or texting> go home> tap on GPS truck.
Here are six steps to follow if you are not using this device as an XM receiver. If you want to use it as an XM radio, a tech support representative will tell you that you need to connect to Bluetooth on your device every time you use it.
Obviously, the BT connection ignores all other contexts, so the XM and GPS addresses are disconnected every time the phone is connected.
Therefore, besides the six steps to create a phone call, you need to add many more to connect.
2. SiriusXM radio:
The device’s speakers are loud. So far, it is the loudest one I have eternally heard of a tablet. If that’s not enough for you, OverDryve 8 also contains an inbuilt SiriusXM radio, which you can use to connect to your car radio.
My issue with this feature reflects my issue with the hand-free using the feature. On the map screen, you have to return home> choose entertainment> choose xm> change station> return home> tap on the GPS to return to the map.
Therefore, the method is very long and frustrating. For me, it is the most explosive device for entering the car from a smartphone.
Drivers use those points while driving their car, and sadly, I think there will be a bug at some point.
The dash cam of this device works really well when you don’t bother recording almost half of your video in the mount. When installed on the windshield, this dash camera cannot be in the worst position.
So far, the least complex operation, but not completed without drawbacks. They’ve overhauled the appearance of the map and “Go to” options, but still offer you a way to search by the traditional way.
The only criticism I would like to mention here is that the buttons on the screen are too small to press the buttons precisely while jumping. However, it produces even more distraction, and once again, undefined.
Comes with a pre-installed screen widget at home, enables you to access the essential functions of your navigation system. Navigation is, of course, more enjoyable, along with other features we discussed.
- SiriusXM radio stations.
- Easy to hold.
- Bluetooth and a built-in camera.
- Easy to use interface.
- All necessary real-time updates you want.
- Google play store is not supported.
- The voice assistant and dashcam doesn’t work well.
- Award-winning truck-specific navigation - Maneuver the road ahead with Rand McNally's award-winning navigation. Receive real-time updates about the weather, traffic, and fuel prices according to your route. This truck-specific navigation also features truck POIs, advanced lane guidance, toll costs, warnings, fuel logs, and more.
- ELD-Ready When You Are - Log your hours on the go with the built-in Rand McNally DriverConnect logbook app. OverDryve Pro is ELD-ready, allowing you to simply connect the app to the ELD 50 or DC 200 device for a complete electronic logging solution.
Everything around the world has some possible side effects along with the good side. So, don’t worry about the drawbacks, as I mentioned along with the premium feature.
In fact, you cannot expect anything more when you are in the car, and your car is like a stage of the concert.
Even I am quite happy with me, Rand McNally OverDryve 8 Pro Truck GPS Tablet, and I hope this review will clear your idea about the product.
That’s the end. Have a safe journey with this modern GPS navigation.